Remember this post about how I wanted to make an upholstered headboard? Well, I finally did it and I took some pictures along the way to share with you how easy the whole process was. Just to give you an idea, I made the buttons in about 30 minutes one evening and the rest of the work was done in about 2 and a half hours (not including shopping time and choosing a fabric and headboard shape! That took much longer.) The images below can be used as a reference, but I would recommend checking out this tutorial by Centsational Girl. She does a fabulous job explaining and illustrating the whole process. I just wanted to share my story. First, I want to share the cost of the whole project. In the end I ended up spending a bit more than I wanted, but still MUCH less than if I had gone out and purchased a ready-made headboard. The prices below are not the actual costs, but pretty darn close from what I can remember. Button Kit: $12.00 Fabric: $16.00 (1 yard of upholstery fabric from Glick Discount Warehouse) Wood: FREE (I used my Home Depot gift card that I received when I cashed in my credit card reward points. BUT if you have to buy some, I used the 1/4" plywood so that it would be much lighter to hang. This is about $20.00) Foam: $16.00 (2.5 yards of 1" foam. Most tutorials will recommend 2" thick foam, but 1" was much cheaper. I also had a 50% off coupon, so the actual cost was $32.00) Batting: $8.00 (on sale for 40% off!) Hardware: FREE (Also was able to use my Home Depot gift card, but only a few bucks if you need to pick this up.) Other materials used that I had on hand: scissors, thread, saber saw, spray adhesive, staple gun and staples. Total: $52.00! I started by marking out my shape on the wood. And then I cut it using my dad's saber saw. (Thanks, Dad!) And then drilled the tiniest little holes in the wood for the buttons. The foam was attached with spray adhesive. I then layered the batting and fabric on the foam. I needed a clear, open surface to work and this meant the floor. Puppies LOVE helping with DIY projects. Figuring out how to string the buttons on was quite a challenge. I ended up threading the needle, putting it through the wood and foam backwards, putting on the button, re-threading the needle and pulling the needle back through. Keeping in mind that the needle NEVER fully came through the wood or foam. I tried threading it normally and couldn't get the needle back through the wood to save my life! Once the buttons were in place, I stapled the fabric by stretching it around the wood and screwed in the hardware. And this is the finished product! Stay tuned for more house pictures soon...

2 Responses to Upholstered Headboard DIY

  1. Good work – it looks great! We’ve been eying up a few DIY tutorials to try this ourselves..those headboards are expensive!! You did a great job! I’m glad to see its possible!

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Scroll to Top